acpl.info

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mr. Wizard dead at 89

Mr. Wizard, aka Don Herbert, died yesterday at the age of 89. When I found that out, I looked him up on Wikipedia (linked above), to find out what I didn't know about him. What I did know was that he did science on TV ... back in the 60s, wasn't it?

Well, yes, but people between the ages of 15 and 30 (and their parents) are beating me to the punch: He reinvented his earlier show (that ran from 1951 to 1965) for Nickelodeon in 1983, and it ran until 1990. Reruns were shown on Nickelodeon until 2000, making it the longest running show ever on Nickelodeon. You can still see some of his books at the library.

I also didn't know that he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in World War II.

He was quite a guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home