acpl.info

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Grease Monkey

I'm barely past the introduction, but I wanted to tell you about this graphic novel by Tim Eldred, because it keeps making me laugh. Three pages isn't a lot of space to do that in, and one of those was the front cover.

The cover has a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you've seen the movie, you'll get it. You might even laugh. (I did.) But I'm not going to tell you about it because I'd have to explain too much of the premise. Suffice to say that it's science fiction, which leads to the next funny part.

An alliance of galactic powers sends emissaries to Earth after 60% of the Earth's population is destroyed by "a million, zillion hostile spaceships". The alliance is known as the Galactic Alliance Against the Alien Horde. Yes: GAAAH.

Click on the link to see a picture of the cover: Grease Monkey

Edit: okay, you can't see it very well, so here's the joke: the gorilla character is throwing a wrench (crescent wrench? monkey wrench?) into the air, similar to the newly tool-using pre-human throwing the bone into the air in 2001. Now, see?! How can I explain "the gorilla character"!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home